Thursday, June 24, 2010

my sister

Five years ago, I graduated middle school, and one year ago, I graduated high school.
Tonight, my sister graduated from middle school.

Middle school graduation is a BLAST. Because there's no serious transition involved, you're not leaving anybody behind, you don't have to anticipate any teary goodbyes. Plus, the only real reason for it is so that the PTO can throw a party/dance for all the 8th graders and they can dress up all fancy schmancy.

Like my sister, Vivi:
She is not one to wear pink, or ruffles, so when she asked me to make her pink, ruffley dress, you can imagine my surprise. But I think it turned out well, and she looks adorable. I hope she's dancing up a storm in that dress as I type.

The dress is made of rayon jersey. It's sooo soft, I love it. I totally approve of this fabric and I wanna buy more and make lots of ruffley skirts and comfy teeshirts and soft circle scarves.
Swish, swish, swish :)

Now. Let me talk a little about my sister. It wouldn't be right to just do a post about her, post pictures of her, and not tell you about her. Her name is Vivi, and she's turning 15 in August, which is CRAZY. God, I feel old.

She was born with Apert Syndrome, which is an extremely rare cousin of Down Syndrome. Because of this, she's had open heart surgery at the ridiculous age of something like 3 months old, and she's had eight or so surgeries on her hands - she was born with her fingers stuck together, and has had to surgically separate them. Her toes are the same way, but my parents decided not to put her through another eight surgeries for her feet. On top of that, she's had many, many surgeries on her face and head, including a major one which took her out of school for weeks. I realize I'm not giving a lot of medical detail - mostly because I don't know anything, and also because I don't think it's necessary.

This is about Vivi, not her medical history.
She's a happy person. She's brave and outgoing. She's fun and she loves to laugh. She's also crazy annoying, but I mean, she is my sister.
And like I said, she's so NOT a pink, ruffley dress kind of person, which can be extended to mean she's not a makeup-hair-jewelry-fashion kind of person. She never understands my addiction to shoes and shopping. But for tonight, I had a TON of fun doing her hair, her makeup, stylin' her outfit - with almost 100% my stuff. The necklace is mine, the belt is mine, the makeup is mine, the curling iron is mine. Everything but the shoes is mine. :) And who can resist getting dolled up, at least some of the time?

She's the only person/place/thing in my house that I miss when I'm away at school. I don't miss my bedroom, I don't miss my pets, I don't miss my parents (seriously). (Okay, I sort of miss my kitchen.) But I do miss her when I'm 3 hours away. And I seriously feel for her, having to be an only child with my parents for 8 months a year. That must suck. I would probably die, or crawl into a ball, or something.

I always feel like I should say something like, "Growing up with a sister who had to go through all that has really changed my life." But I can't really say it's true. Though maybe it's just been so much a part of my life that I don't realize how different I would have been if she had been born without Apert Syndrome. She's just been my sister - and that's totally enough.

So thanks, Vivi, for being my sister :) I love you lots.

love and right triangles,
april

[dress, made by me]
[necklace, gift from mom]
[belt, thrifted]
[shoes, Vivi's]

8 comments:

liz said...

Your sister looks absolutley adorable in that pink dress, now I'm wanting one! lol, guess I'll have to make one myself....diy tutorial????? ;D

Desired Youth said...

Your sister is just adorable!

Nichola said...

Your sister is a cutie! I'd totally swish around in that dress too :)

Annie Spandex said...

Very sweet post and Vivi looks so cute swishing in her dress!

Lesley said...

Aww this post made me tear up! She seems amazing and looks great!

Lexy @ QUIRKY EXPLOSION said...

Wow, what a sweet post. I think it's fantastic that you really care about her and love her for who she is. It's really amazing to see young people like this: despite the fact that they may be considered "different," they are so brave and overcome any obstacles!

She looks so adorable and it must be exciting to see her graduate from middle school (even if it is, you know, only middle school!)

And, man, you did a great job with the dress!

Thanks so much for stopping by!
QUIRKYEXPLOSION.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

this is a very cute post. your sister is so lovely! i can se she loved the frills!

xx,
betz
http://herarmoire.blogspot.com

PS: Maybe you wanna check out the new blog my friend and I made. It's everything NYC and more!
http://everythingnewyorkcity.blogspot.com/

Gosia said...

I like your blog very much, and this post is full of love!